100 disposable cameras will be given to homeless and other vulnerable people at St Paul's Cathedral on Friday 30 June, 2017. The MyLondon photography project, by Cafe Art and The Royal Photographic Society, is to empower people affected by homelessness and results in an exhibition and calendar.
Now in its fifth year, it has inspired similar projects including partnerships with Budapest, Sydney, New Orleans, Sao Paulo and just last week, in Toronto.
The images captured in this annual event are mostly positive. Paul Ryan, director of Cafe Art says: "The goal is to engage people who have experienced homelessness. The project helps them connect with the wider community not only during the photography project, but later in the exhibition and while selling the calendar."
A previous winner of the project is Ray of Light, who will be one of many participants handing out cameras on Friday. Ray says: "Over the last four years the MyLondon project has achieved a tremendous amount, benefiting people in many aspects, not only financially but creatively through learning photography and communications skills." Ray feels the system has been letting down many people, siting the rise in homelessness and use of foodbanks as examples.
The participants, all whom are vulnerable or affected by homelessness, are free to tell their stories alongside the photographs in the exhibition and in the calendar.
The MyLondon schedule will involve participants in the following activities:
• 100 cameras handed out in Wren Suite, St Paul's Cathedral on Friday 30 June. Main handout is from 11.45-1pm. Entrance is to Crypt to left of main steps.
• The participants have five days and return the cameras on Wednesday 5 July
• Everyone who returns a camera will choose five photos for an exhibition
• The choosing of the exhibition by all participants will also be held at St Paul's on 11 July
• The exhibition is in Spitalfields Arts Market from 31 July - 6 August. During the exhibition the public will vote on the top 20 photos and help choose the 2018 MyLondon calendar
• The MyLondon 2018 calendar will be launched on World Homeless Day, 10 October 2017.
To arrange to meet Ray or other participants contact: Paul Ryan firstname.lastname@example.org tel. 07517 141 948
Twitter: @cafeartuk Facebook: @cafeartforhomelessartists
CAFÉ ART connects people affected by homelessness with the wider community through art. We hang artwork created in art groups run by homelessness sector organisations and hang it in independent cafes in London. We also run the MyLondon photography contest with disposable FujiFilm cameras.